Doomtown Forum Index Doomtown
A forum to discuss all things related to the Doomtown CCG
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fear level raising

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: fear level raising Reply with quote

i got the extended family starting home, but i'm not entirely familiar with all the options available to ramp the fear level rapidly.

also as i talk to different players I know, they all seem to say the fear level starts at different levels for different sets. if playing with decks made up from all different sets, wouldn't there be a default fear level that isn't set specific?

as far as ramping is concerned so far i've stumbled across

spectral visitors

lord grimleys manor
stuffed to the gills strike.

i'm thinking 4 samhaim might be the best way to go?

stuff like last kingdom and that one hex (whos name i cannot recall) are usefull but they are not permanent rampings which somewhat bothers me. but i'm also not sure if they are considered essential to rapid ramp. strategies.

essentially what i'm asking for, is what were the established ideas for rapid fear level ramp, back when the game was still competitively played?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the Whateley Fear decks were at their height (around the set of Revelations), the fear level had climbed to 7, which meant that you started out with 1 Control point from the home, and only needed to raise it by 3 to hit 4 control points. Common Fear raisers at the time were Samhain, The Mother Lode is Found (5H event from MOH that raises the fear level by 2, aces itself, can only be plaid once per game and discards highest value Sweetrock dude to boot) and Lord Grimley's Manor Exp (AD ROS, 10 cost 2 upkeep, 3 CP, raises Fear leve by 2, 2 additional CPs when Fear level is 10 or more. Most decks ran 4 Samhains, 1-2 Mother Lodes, and multiple Lord Grimleys Exp. ! Sahhain or Mother Lode going off plus one Lord Grimleys Exp = 4 home CP plus 5 CP from Lord Grimleys that can be destroyed but not taken away with influence. Ouch! Back in the day, some decks could hit the combo in a couple of turns or so and really cripple decks not prepared for it.
Since then the Fear level has dropped. Current default Fear level is 5 from the final set, DUO. This makes it harder to hit the magic 10 Fear level in just a turn or two. Nev cards that have been introduced that can help change the Fear level include:

Stumbling Into the Badlands (9H Event from A2A, raise fear level by 2 if a Dude was aced last turn).
Spectral Visitors (3H Event from A2A, if another players pull less that the Fear level, raise by 1)
Lost Horizon (2C Cheating from A2A, Raise or Lower Fear level by 2)
Abomination Pit (JD 4 cost improvement from E4E, when Terror at this location raise Fear level by 1)
Sabtabiels's Remains (6H good from E4E, 4 cost Dude, boot in Shootout to raise or lower Fear level by 1 if Dude survives).
Last Kingdom (kH Event from DUO, raises Fear level and skill levels for Dudes by 2 until the end of the turn).
Nightmare Realm (KH hex from ROS, Raises Fear level by 1 until end of turn, discard Hex).

Also AH Event The End is Nigh can also raise CP by 1 for turn if Fear level over 7.

Not all the above cards are created equal. In the current environment of Headline Events and a Fear level of 5 hitting a Fear level of 10 is not as easy as it was, and your opponent will have more time to bring influence into play to counter. Many decks will also run an Arson specfically for the Manor, and may start with more Influence in their starting posse to counter a possible Fear rush (including Father Terrance, who counters the bonus home CPs for Fear). Samhains Mother Lodes (better than Samhain but can only put 1-2 in a deck) and Lord Grimleys's are all great cards for the deck, but you wont be able to rely on a 2 turn rush to hit Fear 10 and get you a quick win. You will need to build a more balanced deck to survive into midgame, protect Lord Grimley's when it comes out, and likely still have to drop more CPs (or reduce your opponents Influence with shootouts and/or reducers) to get the win. 1 turn Fear incrase cards can be good if the extra CP will get you the win, especially if it gets you to Fear 10 with a Lord Grimley's in play, otherwise not.

Hope this helps you! Good luck with the Whateley's (and finding a Mother Lode and Lord Grimley's Manor exp!)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and of course if you are going to play with a number of Fear raising events as your primary Fear raisers, I would recommend a couple of Ace in the Holes to help the Events resolve when the end up in your hand and not in your lowball.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice guys.

so far i've upped the number of nightmare realms to 3 and am trying to get 2 more (for a total of 4) samhaim.

I got 3 of the night terror attacks. it strikes me as a useful card similar to bounty hunter for that mid game, but not unless you can get the fear level high. whats the general feeling about night terror attack when it comes to competitive strategy? good card or bad card?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, spread yourself around to consider various circumstances e.g. 'what if..'

Samhain-GREAT fear raiser-it does what it is supposed to do (raise FL) and then aces itself (hence the need to run multiples), but what if the opponent has Den of Eastern Delights or a Sioux w/ Apache Devil Dancers.

I prefer this to Mother Lode Found though as Sammy is better for pulls.

Stumbling into the Badlands-great, but relies on Dudes being aced LAST turn-can turn useless against turtles.

Lost Horizon-A great CHeatin' card, but relies on opponent Cheatin' and clogs your hand until they do.

Lord Grimley's Manor xp-this is the Deux ex Machina due to the massive bump in in FL AND CP and ability to retain control. Its cost and upkeep means that LGMxp is unlikely to be around more than a turn (not to mention visits from Boom Boom OBannon, Sam Horowitz, Arson, Foreclosure, Wrath o God, etc.).

Sabtabiel's remains-not contingent on the other guy, but you have to a) boot and b) survive a shootout. also vulnerable to goods theft/removal.
My current WEF FL deck current runs:

3 Samhains (2 if I want an official 'double barrel')
Lost Horizon
Abomination Pit
Sabtabiel's remains
LGM xp

LGMxp means the goal is to get the FL to 8 and drop the manor. We play FL starts at 5. So the above have 4 ways to raise the FL 3 points to prime the manor. Use actions, hexes, etc. to keep their influence down so that when the Manor drops, they can't increase influence fast enough to match.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Doomtown Forum Index -> Whateleys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: