Doomtown Forum Index Doomtown
A forum to discuss all things related to the Doomtown CCG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Busting the Puppet Show

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davido

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Busting the Puppet Show Reply with quote

Shadow Man: Noon Hex 5: If this hex is successful, this huckster cannot be targeted by other players' actions until after nightfall.

Higher Learning: Noon Spirit 6: Target a Spell in this or an adjacent location. If this Spirit succeeds, discard the Spell.

The Setup-Jebediah Whateley flits through the town, heading towards YOUR home, getting ready to turn YOUR uber-stud into 'show and a dinner' for Enoch.

The Big Idea: As Jebby hits the town square, Mr. Smarty-Sioux casts Higher Learing on Puppet. Buh-Bye string-fling.

The Big Question: Since Higher Learning targets SPELLS, does it bypass the "cannot target this huckster" ability of Shadow Man? Obviously, a Confederate Hunter followed by Higher Learning works fine, but that is just 'hand clog', while Higher Learning once attached remains in play.
RichCarter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes - I would say that Higher Learning does not target the Huckster.
Big fish in small ponds
davido

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTOH, I forgot about the Black Circlel of Dastardly-ness:
Quote:

Whateley's Black Circle: GR: 19 Reaction: When one of your Dudes is targeted with an action, ace a Spell attached to one of your Dudes to cancel the action.

I know there was a long discussion about this (and Jebby's ability to discard vs. ace spells), but I'm not finding it right now.

Is targeting someone w/ a spell an "action" as opposed to a club card which is an "Action"? Most likely Jebby would be cancelin' and Nic would be slingin' in this case.
RichCarter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dude is not being targeted - all good - no cancel
Big fish in small ponds
spraggle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick thought on this...

While I entirely agree that the Higher Learning will remove the Shadow Man hex from being attached to the dude, if Shadow Man has been 'cast' already, removing the hex from play won't suddenly make the dude targetable this turn. (at least that's my understanding!)

Timing-wise, I'm unsure as to when people tend to cast Shadow Man - If it were me, I'd do it before I came marching across anywhere, so against me you'd need to get the higher learning in play before the Shadow Man hits to pull this off.

Interesting Co-incidence: While typing this, I'm watching the film "The Shadow". Yes, it is that terrible, just in case you thought of watching it.
davido

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, my intention was to remove the Puppet hex as that's the whole engine of Dancin' w/ Enoch, but good point.

Shadow Man tends to be cast as the first action of the day while the Huckster is at Home.

spraggle wrote:
Just a quick thought on this...

While I entirely agree that the Higher Learning will remove the Shadow Man hex from being attached to the dude, if Shadow Man has been 'cast' already, removing the hex from play won't suddenly make the dude targetable this turn. (at least that's my understanding!)

Timing-wise, I'm unsure as to when people tend to cast Shadow Man - If it were me, I'd do it before I came marching across anywhere, so against me you'd need to get the higher learning in play before the Shadow Man hits to pull this off.

Interesting Co-incidence: While typing this, I'm watching the film "The Shadow". Yes, it is that terrible, just in case you thought of watching it.
spraggle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah. You even wrote that in the first post.

Need to learn to read, apparently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Doomtown Forum Index -> Rules questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: