Doomtown Forum Index Doomtown
A forum to discuss all things related to the Doomtown CCG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Putting the Story pieces in Chronological order

View previous topic :: View next topic  
db0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Putting the Story pieces in Chronological order Reply with quote

The story pieces here are great, but they're all over the place, in this post I'm going to try and put them in the correct chronological order as far as I remember it so that someone new can go through the (excellent) canon storyline of Doomtown easily.

Entries with question marks in brackets I'm particularly uncertain I've got right.

Entries that are no here, I'm not sure where they belong, please point out the correct location if you know it

Entries on the same line, separated by a line are concurrent

Please do correct me if I get things wrong as this is still a work in progress

Last edited by db0 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:26 pm; edited 13 times in total
Balder1718

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My list includes some slightly different placements.

I have Opening Salvo prior to Episode 8.

I have Mouth of Hell before Friends and Promises, however, so much through that stretch is happening all around the same time really.

Lastly, I have Final Assault occurring prior to Revelations.

My list includes a LOT more fiction than just what's here though, too. =0D
Harrowed777

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balder and I have been working (albeit slowly) on a similar project as I have access to a lot of fiction that can't be found on here (or anywhere else in some cases).

I will say it's coming... eventually.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, ok. I'll keep working on this version until then Smile

@Balder: I thought the Opening Salvo was earlier as well, but the Boot Hill mentions that Muskovich was disintegrated by Zarkov during RoS, so I assumed this was the one in the story. I think I'll anyway move it back, because for me also it doesn't make much sense that it's so much later on.

Quote:
I have Mouth of Hell before Friends and Promises, however, so much through that stretch is happening all around the same time really.

Was it that later on? I thought Jackie was harrowedbefore that time :-/. I mean, I think his exp. card is from episode 7 or 8 isn't it?

Quote:

They're pretty much concurrent and Final Assault seems to be just before Katie and the survivors meet up with Stoker which is after Revelations as well. They're both at around the same time I think.
Balder1718

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

db0 wrote:
Quote:

Was it that later on? I thought Jackie was harrowedbefore that time :-/. I mean, I think his exp. card is from episode 7 or 8 isn't it?

First off, I think you mean "Spike" was Harrowed. He may have been harrowed before then (his EXP actually released in Mouth of Hell), but the event that takes place in the story doesn't. Friends and Promises is the piece in which Black Jack is faced with the reality of what's really going on in Gomorra and is asked by Humphrey Walters and Father Juan to help. He then agrees to meet with Stoker, who takes him to the Whateleys to watch the Rangers get massacred there in Alamo Redux.

I always considered the official fiction pieces (like Mouth of Hell) to take place at the onset of whatever took place during that portion of the arc. As such, I place Mouth of Hell earlier, then arrange the pieces that occur during that expansion's timeline in order after it. That's why my list has Mouth of Hell earlier.

db0 wrote:
Quote:

They're pretty much concurrent and Final Assault seems to be just before Katie and the survivors meet up with Stoker which is after Revelations as well. They're both at around the same time I think.

It was really hard for me to nail down a placement for these. Since Lord Grimely's is so close to the Whateley estate, I imagined that it would have been impossible for the hero group to miss Knicknevin erupting from the building. So I felt that Final Assault went down, resulting in the group meeting up at Lord Grimely's. Then A Reaping of Souls occurs, where Elijah brings forth Knicknevin. Then all the pieces that lead up to Black Jack and Hunter coming together. THEN Revelations.

A Reaping of Souls also puts a twist into things. The fiction ends with Knicknevin coming through and the pieces speaks of a lone shadowy figure walking down the stairs into the basement of Lord Grimely's unnoticed. I think we're to assume that this figure is Stoker, however, he doesn't arrive until Revelations or even A Wilderness of Tigers.
db0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balder1718 wrote:

First off, I think you mean "Spike" was Harrowed.

Correct. Brain fart.

Quote:
He may have been harrowed before then (his EXP actually released in Mouth of Hell), but the event that takes place in the story doesn't. Friends and Promises is the piece in which Black Jack is faced with the reality of what's really going on in Gomorra and is asked by Humphrey Walters and Father Juan to help. He then agrees to meet with Stoker, who takes him to the Whateleys to watch the Rangers get massacred there in Alamo Redux.

Yeah, that's my understanding as well. I've moved Friends and Promises now to Pine Box, just before MoH.

Quote:
I always considered the official fiction pieces (like Mouth of Hell) to take place at the onset of whatever took place during that portion of the arc. As such, I place Mouth of Hell earlier, then arrange the pieces that occur during that expansion's timeline in order after it. That's why my list has Mouth of Hell earlier.

Yeah, this is my take on it as well.

db0 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
It was really hard for me to nail down a placement for these. Since Lord Grimely's is so close to the Whateley estate, I imagined that it would have been impossible for the hero group to miss Knicknevin erupting from the building.

Did they miss it though? Or did they leave it for after battling the Whateleys?

I agree that the order of the stories at that point is a bit fluid, and we seem to have some continuity hiccups as well as everything seems to be happening in a very short amount of time.

Quote:
So I felt that Final Assault went down, resulting in the group meeting up at Lord Grimely's. Then A Reaping of Souls occurs, where Elijah brings forth Knicknevin. Then all the pieces that lead up to Black Jack and Hunter coming together. THEN Revelations.

It makes sense but only if we assume that Knickevin's emergence would make them stop the assault. I like your storyline, but reading the story, it does seem to me as if the chaos of Knickevin's emergence has already stared (therefore Nicodemus can go on a rampage as he does and happens to be away from the mansion. Also the events of Tempest also seem to occur before the Final Assault, as Nicodemus thinks about them as he's going back to the mansion.

It's quite difficult to untangle but I the most important thing for me is that people don't talk or think about things that happen in the future, so at least this way I think I've achieved that. Maybe someone from the story team can provide a better overview.

Quote:
A Reaping of Souls also puts a twist into things. The fiction ends with Knicknevin coming through and the pieces speaks of a lone shadowy figure walking down the stairs into the basement of Lord Grimely's unnoticed. I think we're to assume that this figure is Stoker, however, he doesn't arrive until Revelations or even A Wilderness of Tigers.

Yeah, I don't think that's Stoker either, or perhaps it is, but he's just observing. Mostly though it seems to me as if it's a loose end cliffhanger that they completely forgot about.

PS: I've added most other stories by now, but I'm more uncertain about the events after boot hill.
Balder1718

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things get really out of whack after Boot Hill. The continuity between writers gets a little hazy and there are many stories based on tournaments that don't quite play out the same. You also begin to come across pieces that begin to contradict each other - as if two writers were writing the same thing, but took things down a different path.

Anyways, on the Knicknevin thing, I also see Nico's walk back to the manor to take place BEFORE Knicknevin rises, since he refers to the event as upcoming. Another reason why I placed them the way that I did.
White Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does DUO and the Lost Angels fit in with all of this?
Harrowed777

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above list only really covers through Boot Hill Edition.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above list is also missing a bunch of pieces that cannot be found on this site.
Mercenary30

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is preventing this site from having the story piece "Do Unto Others"?
Balder1718

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing that I know of ... just that no one's done it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Doomtown Forum Index -> Official Fiction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: