Doomtown Forum Index Doomtown
A forum to discuss all things related to the Doomtown CCG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Wishful Thinking] Could Doomtown re-launch as an LCG?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soluzar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: [Wishful Thinking] Could Doomtown re-launch as an LCG? Reply with quote

As I'm sure at least some members will already know, an LCG or "Living Card Game" is an alternative release structure and business model to the typical CCG or "Collectable Card Game". The term has only been used in relatively recent years, and Fantasy Flight are the main publisher of such games. The first time I became aware of the term was when the "A Game of Thrones" CCG became an LCG.

If you haven't yet encountered the term, it basically means that there are no more booster packs, and no more rare cards. Every card is of fixed rarity. You buy a base set, and you get a complete playset. "Chapter Packs" are released on a steady schedule and contain a themed set of fixed cards. You choose based on the information available which chapter packs you want to add to your collection, and customize your deck from there.

The nice things about this format are that you always know what you're going to get, and you don't have to concern yourself with expensive singles on the secondary market. You buy the cards you need. Arguably when a CCG has a thriving trade in singles you can also buy exactly the cards you need but some are prohibitively expensive and/or scarce.

If in a crazy fantasy world Doomtown either had originally been launched as an LCG, or was now re-launched as an LCG, do you think it could support the format? I think it could.

I would launch the base set with Blackjacks, Law Dogs, Sweetrock and one other faction... probably Maze Rats? Basically I would assume that in a base set it was a good idea to avoid launching the more complex factions that depend heavily on skills like Mad Scientist, Blessed, Huckster... etc... I'd try and reserve all mention of those traits for a later expansion.

Even though there are existing players, I assume any relaunch would be treating it as a new game to sell to new players. On that basis I think it could work, and as a bonus there's nothing actually stopping us old-timers from using our existing cards to build more advanced decks with what we already have. Assuming they don't change the card templates, anyway. I can't see why they would - everything looks great.

I know it won't happen, but... le sigh... it's a nice pipe dream.
Harrowed777

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LCG Format MIGHT be viable for Doomtown, but Not as it currently is being done by FFG.

Some thing closer to DUO would be a better option, a fixed expansion every few months that had two or three Factions featured.

The base set could be something like decks for Law Dogs, Black Jacks, Collegium, and Maze Rats.

These represent Central Themes, and have gadgets, Spells and conceivably Kung fu to utilize more advanced concepts.

After that I would either do one deck and a "saddlebag"every couple months (all in the same package) or two- three decks and a "saddlebag" every 4 months. The reason behind this is that having full decks allows to make sure players have access to a full array of cards for a faction, not just here's a home and a few dudes, but an actual playable deck the players can augment. The Saddlebag would be like an LCG chapter pack, a selection of cards that add value and update existing factions.

I do think that there should always be a playset provided, not a one of each like DUO. AEG has learned since then with other games (L5R) to do playsets.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely think that Doomtown as an LCG would be viable. I know it's probably the ONLY way you'd ever get someone like me to pick up any more cards and play a game again. I have neither the money, nor the time to invest in purchasing tons of cards/tracking down ones I need.

I want something that I can play right out the box if I want to, but have the freedom to customize and rework as much as I'd like to fit my playing level at that time. ONLY an LCG (or similar system) can offer that.
AEG Ed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could relaunch as an LCG, but not exactly as it was. FFG did a fine relaunch of Netrunner, and we would have to take a similar approach with Doomtown, if we did it.

In the meantime, I would be much appreciative if'n y'all would be so kind as to vote on the poll at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/868961/which-outfits-are-your-favorite-most-played-cool
davido

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Doomtown relaunch? Reply with quote

While we've been teased before, it is always good to hear someone representing one of the DT players at publicly express an interest in at least considering a relaunch.

Doomtown's poker suit/value is both a blessing and a curse. I, for one, would like to see the 'base deck' as bicycle compatible with the saddlebags/chapter packs providing options to expand upon the basic bike deck. To help differentiate outfits, perhaps one set of packs could lead to a derringer format (lots of different values) or straight flushes (emphasizing one suit) or full house/4 of a kind (stacked on a few core values).

Subsequent releases while focusing on 1 or 2 outfits (dare we hope for more outfits, e.g. some of the ones from the RPG who make their way to Gomorra?) would continue to add some cards to the previous outfits or generally useful neutral cards/drifters to continue to add to the deckbuilding options.

Still, I'm glad that FFGs successful relaunches (besides Android: Netrunner, Call of Cthulu comes to mind) have not gone unnoticed Very Happy
Harrowed777

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Doomtown relaunch? Reply with quote

davido wrote:
Still, I'm glad that FFGs successful relaunches (besides Android: Netrunner, Call of Cthulu comes to mind) have not gone unnoticed Very Happy

In a way, AGoT could be considered a relaunch too. The LCG switch basically saved the floundering CCG.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new format that they went to for the Call of Cthulhu LCG would be perfect for Doomtown. They stopped doing the monthly packs and switched to releasing a "deluxe" expansion every few months which each focus on a different faction in the game. Personally, I think this would be the best thing ever for Doomtown, as it would recapture the "Rolling Thunder" feel. I loved the idea of the Rolling Thunder releases, but as anyone who was playing DT back then knows, it was a very poor execution. There's just not really a way to make that work for a CCG. For a Doomtown LCG though, it would be amazing. The Core Set could focus on Law Dogs and Blackjacks, and then every 2 months or so they could introduce a new Outfit in its own deluxe expansion, or possibly combining 2 Outfits for each release. Man, now I'm kinda mad I even saw this thread, my awesome ideas are just making me sad it'll never happen Crying or Very sad
Humphry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Doomtown relaunch? Reply with quote

davido wrote:
Doomtown's poker suit/value is both a blessing and a curse. I, for one, would like to see the 'base deck' as bicycle compatible with the saddlebags/chapter packs providing options to expand upon the basic bike deck. To help differentiate outfits, perhaps one set of packs could lead to a derringer format (lots of different values) or straight flushes (emphasizing one suit) or full house/4 of a kind (stacked on a few core values).

I often wonder if i'm the only person who has zero interest in bicycle decks, if I can't play 4 copies of a card I really want to play 4 copies of, I'm not interested.

Similarly, one of the reasons I'm a bit put off trying any of these LCGs is the idea that I'll need to buy 3/4 base sets to have playsets of things. True it's a lot cheaper than getting into a CCG, but i've had enough with spending crazy amounts on cards, and 150 isn't something I want to spend on a whim.
Toqtamish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get multiple core sets for a lot less than that. I got 3 of Netrunner for under $100 US$ and Star Wars I only needed 2 sets and got those at my FLGS for $80 CDN$.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Doomtown Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: