Doomtown Forum Index Doomtown
A forum to discuss all things related to the Doomtown CCG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you could design your own 15 card mini set for Doomtown..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: If you could design your own 15 card mini set for Doomtown.. Reply with quote

what would you add? By this, you had the ability to release one last DUO style expansion for Doomtown, limited it to a saddle bag sized release (15 cards), and it would be official for all future Doomtown play (as much as anything can be said to be official anymore), what would you bring to the table. You could use your power to...

*add cards to hose or fix what you feel are broken, overpowered deck strategies (eg a swarm hoser card if you feel that Blackjack mook decks are overpowered.)
*add cards to aid certain deck strategies you feel never got fully developed or were a card or two away from tournament viability (eg kung fu powers.)
*include a corrected MRP version of a card already in play to fix broken or overpowered deck strategies (eg errata Sioux Spirit Warrior home to be a boot to negate saving Dudes once a turn effect vs global effect if you view this home to be overpowered.)
*add a new new home or homes to the game, to promote tournament viability for factions viewed as not being competitive, or add new deckbuilding themes to the game (eg a Collegium home that builds upon the Mad Scientist/abomination themes developed in the last couple of expansions.)
*add new Experienced dudes to the game, to flesh out the storyline (eg Black Jack 3 becomes a Law Dog and the new Sheriff in the ruins of Gomorra) or honor the end of the game (some or all official storyline Dudes who survived the end get their own final Experienced version.) Or just to make you laugh (Bob Bidwell 2 has 2 eyepatches!)

I am not trolling to try and issue some sort of unofficial Doomtown patch or add on to the game. I am more curious to hear from long term players what problems you see in the metagame, what in your opinion is overpowered (and underpowered), and what cards ideas do you have to fix them. Is there even a consensus among Doomtown players on what is truly broken vs just tournament competitive? And would you try to fix the metagame, or just make 15 cool cards you would have fun and play with? Or even try to create a new deck archetype by adding a new card or two to the mix? Even with 1600+ cards in the card pool, what other interesting, creative, powerful, or just funny cards are out there that might have been?
Harrowed777

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, honestly, because of the way the game ended, and the fact that if you make cards SPECIFICALLY to stop exploitative decks, you cause new problems in Metagame.

My 15 cards would be EXP version of the 15 dudes who survived the storyline. You could make some of them into "counter" cards for popular "broken" strategies, but they should be strong either way.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15 survivors makes for a nice even saddlebag, true dat.
But, there should be room for a bonus or Deluxe Bag for the Champions that are still awaiting cards as well as semi-formal storyline commitments.

I believe that Rich "The Chameleon" Carter should be gracing a trifecta of pasteboards Very Happy
jordan caldwell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goodness.

one way to do this would be to figure out the 15 "strongest" overall strategies and create flexible counters that in and of themselves were neither useless against other strategies nor co-optable by them.

another way to do this is to figure out the 15 "weakest" overall strategies and give them a leg-up card...

ok, here is one:

Jebediah Whateley
10 of Spades
1 Draw
2 Influence
5 GR
0 Upkeep

Experienced 2 * Huckster 2
Whenever one of your Hucksters permanently increases their Huckster Skill, Search your deck or discard for a Hex card, and attach it to that Huckster. Shuffle your deck if the card came from it.
Kristian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which are "the 15 that survived" and how do you know? From the RPG?

I think I would either make a new outfit (1 home and 14 dudes should make a fine addition) or boost Kung-Fu so that this new thing would actually work...

Smile
limitedwhole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kung-Fu isn't so bad...
Harrowed777

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristian wrote:
Which are "the 15 that survived" and how do you know? From the RPG?

I think I would either make a new outfit (1 home and 14 dudes should make a fine addition) or boost Kung-Fu so that this new thing would actually work...

Smile

The last official worlds was 2002 (iirc) and they had a board on which they put all of the dudes who were alive (or undead) and every time you won a game, you got to move a dude up or down on the board. At one player's request they added Clovis the Devil Bunny to the board. The 15 characters highest on the board were the only survivors of the Last Kingdom. Some of this was reflected in the RPG, but mostly, since the official storyline was never wrapped up, it's just a fun storyline tourney that had no real effect.

In the end the Survivors were:

Carson Gage
Deputy Dave Montreal
Xiong "Wendy" Cheng
BlackJack Jackson
Cort Williams
"Windows" Derek
Katie Karl
Max Baine
Scott Peirce
Nicodemus Whately
Charlie Landers
Bob Bidwel
Charity
"Gordo" Andrande
Clovis the Devil Bunny

After the official end of the game, there were also some fan groups who wanted to continue the game and ran events to let you "rescue" Characters from the grips of death.

The "Ride Again" characters were:

Ashlar Mayfair
Jebidiah Whateley
Nash Bilton
William Rose

So, a little history lesson for you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx!
Humphry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head, I'd go for a cheapish non unique dude with 1 influence who had something like "This Dudes influence is always 1, it cannot be altered"
Jonas Albrecht

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Werewolf: the Wild West faction.
Ookami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was talking to John Zinser in January, he did mention the thought of bringing DT back as a LCG.

As for cards I want to see:

Exp 2 J.P. Coleman
Wendy as a Sheriff
Chao Li Exp 2
spraggle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Some ideas for cards Reply with quote

Sorry to necro an old thread, but I read this the other day, and it really got me thinking.

Here's 7 card ideas I've had. Not sure if they're not abusively powerful, or terrible, or been done before in DT (as I don't yet hold an encyclopedic knowledge of the cards - working on it!). Also, these need some serious templating. So, with all those caveats out the way:

Wipe The Slate Clean - 8H
Move all cards in all boot hills to thier owner's discard piles

This was a counter to Start Again - you can't guarentee it's going to hit because it's just an event, but it does ensure you aren't completely hosed by seeing all your cards go bye-bye.

--

That's old news - 10C - Cost 0
Reaction: If an event has taken place before this game, cancel it, search the owner's hand, deck and discard piles for all copies of that card, and ace them.

At first, it sounds abusive, however, the event has to have happened before, and you have to have this in your hand - you're not going to play 4 of these.

--

Buried Treasure - 4D - Cost 1. Improvement.
Attach this to any deed in play, even if you don't own the deed.
Controller Noon: Boot a dude you control at this location.
Controller Noon Pull: If the pull is below the dude's value, gain 10 GR and discard this improvement. You can only use this ability if the dude using it is the only dude at this location, and if they are the dude who performed the first booting action.

This card needs serious templating work, but the idea is that they've found a treasure map, and it leads to this building. The trouble is, they need to be alone to go searching for the treasure, as they don't want to share it. Splitting the action in two stops it being just a case of 'go get 10gr' and turns it in to a location that suddenly, people want to sniff around. Shootouts start over this kinda thing.

--

Man of Iron - 4H - 7GR - +3
Mechanical Suit - Gadget Difficulty 9
This gadget cannot be passed to any other dude.
This dude is a stud.
If this dude would be aced in a shootout, instead give him -2 bullet rating.
If this dude ever has 0 BR, he is aced, along with the suit.

I am IRON MAN.

--

Steak Dinner - 9C - 3GR
Noon: Boot a dude you control to return the card to "As Printed".
"Nothin' a good steak dinner can't cure"

This is the counter to disintegration, or any number of negative effects on a dude - but could also be used on a 'stolen' harrowed dude to remove all the Harrowed Powers.

--

Dave "The Storyteller" Manford - 9S - Drifter - 0 Draw - 2 Influence - 7GR - 0 Upkeep.
Noon Pull: All dudes at this location with a value less than Dave's are booted. Reduce Dave's value by 3.
"Sometimes, the stories get old"

--
Caught! - 2C - 0
Cheatin': Only one cheatin' card per draw. You may search your deck for any card. Reveal it to all players before adding it to your play hand.

I like the idea that instead of punishing your opponent for cheating directly, you go and get something in a tutor style effect - it may not hurt them right now, but will damage them more, later on.

--
So, that's my seven cards for now - let me know what you think - how viable are they, and would you end up breaking them in your decks?
spraggle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - there are lots of normal templating that will end up being applied to these cards - Dave needs to have a section about value can't reduce below A; Man of Iron needs the same regards BR; Caught! needs you to discard a card, etc.

It's these things I only think about when I re-read my post. I need to learn that this is what the Preview button is for!
Humphry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Some ideas for cards Reply with quote

spraggle wrote:
Buried Treasure - 4D - Cost 1. Improvement.
Attach this to any deed in play, even if you don't own the deed.
Controller Noon: Boot a dude you control at this location.
Controller Noon Pull: If the pull is below the dude's value, gain 10 GR and discard this improvement. You can only use this ability if the dude using it is the only dude at this location, and if they are the dude who performed the first booting action.

This card needs serious templating work, but the idea is that they've found a treasure map, and it leads to this building. The trouble is, they need to be alone to go searching for the treasure, as they don't want to share it. Splitting the action in two stops it being just a case of 'go get 10gr' and turns it in to a location that suddenly, people want to sniff around. Shootouts start over this kinda thing.

I have a problem with this card, as it seems to me it will be used specifically by decks full of Ambush/Massacre/Expensive Gear as a way to pay for all that.

Or even just putting on something like the Abandoned Mine.

For a start, it should Ace itself to stop you just cycling through them over and over.
Secondly, I'm not sure how restrictive the pull is going to be, especially if someone is running a deck with 35+ Aces or Threes, pulling over the dudes value might be better, since it means you've sent someone "weak" there and more shootable.
Abject

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done up what I call suites of cards around a theme, such as hats, to help round out a value block. You notice how there are two hats, one a 3 value, the other 10. Well, to me that means we need hats for the other values. Oh and with all these hats comes the rule 'a dude can only attach one hat' just like the horse rule. Never thought the stack of new hats made much sense anyway.

HATS

A: Sombrero
2: Coonskin Cap
3: New Hat
4: Pork Pie Hat
5: Homberg
6: Derby
7: Fedora
8: Boss of the Plains
9: Topper
10: Deerstalker Hat
J: Black Hat
Q: White Hat
K: Ten Gallon

Sombrero
Value: A
Bullet:
Influence:
Text: Hat This dude cannot be the target of an action while booted.
Cost: 2
Upkeep:

Coonskin Cap
Value: 2
Bullet:
Influence:
Text: Hat This dude has +1 Influence while out of town.
Cost: 0
Upkeep:

Pork Pie Hat
Value: 4
Bullet:
Influence:
Text: Hat Noon: Boot this dude, target another of your lower value dudes in this location, that dude moves to an adjacent location and starts a shootout with an opposing dude with a lower value in that location.
“Knock-knock”
Cost: 3
Upkeep:

Homberg
Value: 5
Bullet:
Influence:
Text: Hat +1 Production
Cost: 2
Upkeep:

Boss of the Plains
Value: 8
Bullet: +1 stud
Influence: +1
Text: Hat Increase this dudes value by 2.
Cost: 6
Upkeep:

Derby
Value: 6
Bullet:
Influence:
Text: Hat This dude has +1 influence for each unbooted dude at this deed.
Upkeep:

Fedora
Value: 7
Bullet:
Influence:
Text: Hat Reaction: Discard the Fedora after a pull at or targeting a card in this location, ignore the result and pull again.
Upkeep:

Topper
Value: 9
Bullet:
Influence:
Text: Hat Noon: Boot this dude and target a dude at this location, that dude cannot call out this dude. This dudes influence is equal to that dudes influence until after nightfall.
Upkeep:

Black Hat
Value: J
Bullet:
Influence: +1
Text: Hat This dude is Wanted. While you control another wanted dude this dude may not be targeted by an opponent's action.
Cost: 6
Upkeep:

White Hat
Value: Q
Bullet:
Influence:
Text: Hat Immediately discard the White Hat if you ever control a wanted dude. If this dude is aced in a shootout facing a wanted dude in the opposing posse, this dude is sent home booted instead of going to boot hill.
Cost: 5
Upkeep:

Ten Gallon Hat
Value: K
Bullet:
Influence: +2
Text: Hat Discard the Ten Gallon Hat if this dude moves to a private deed.
Cost: 4
Upkeep:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Doomtown Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: